Friday, December 19, 2008

School Daze

I just came back from a meeting at my kids' school, and I am still in shock. Though I submitted an enrollment from last spring, have been talking with teachers and office staff about the adoption for months, and have sent written notification that my two new kids would be starting school sometime after the winter break, they informed me today that my children would not be able to attend b/c the class sizes are maxed. In fact, they are overfilled, b/c they figured there would be withdrawals thoughout the school year (which didn't happen). So now we're looking at overcrowded classrooms, which is not only a bad thing for the kids of mine already there, but is effectively slamming the door in my Kaz kids' faces. It was suggested to me that I could simply enroll them in our district school (we attend a charter school). Absolutely not. It is critical that these kids be given as much stability as possible, and I am NOT going to put them in one school only to switch them to another when the numbers look more favorable. My question of why I was not informed of this earlier went, of course, unanswered. This school is supposed to have a policy of guaranteeing placement of siblings, but I guess they are selective about when they follow their policies. I am incensed and outraged. Before leaving, I set up a meeting with our school's principal (who was not in-house at the time) for Monday morning. Hopefully, I will be able to calm down in the next 72 hours or I'll be walking in his door red-faced and fists clenched, ready to toe the line. After all, they don't know what it's like to take on both US and Kazakhstani beurocrats for over a year. I've fought a long, embittered battle, and I've won my decree, dammit, so ain't nuttin' stoppin' me now!

3 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alphamama said...

Oh, boy, do I know how you feel! After all we've been through getting the kids into our family, we're just cranky enough to take on any fight stateside. Kate is in a charter school and Madiyar will be joining her there...they have also assured me that sibs have guaranteed enrollment. We're still here in KZ but that won't stop me from emailing the school NOW to be sure they know they'll have a new student in January.

Hang in there, Anne...we're almost done with the looong adoption journey. Congrats to both us us for being too darn stubborn to quit!

Happy holidays, Dee

julieinmaine said...

you go girl! I hope it works out for you! You know whom ever you talked to has mentioned it to the principal. Lets hope he has thought it over this weekend and come to his sences!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...