Monday, June 8, 2009

A Week In The Life ....

Drove one kid to an appointment in the morning.
Drove another kid to an appointment in the afternoon.
Picked strawberries with my 6 kids plus 1 friend. Took home way more than we needed.
Dropped kid off at the Ashland Nature Center in the morning for a two day, one night field trip.
Picked two kids up from school at 5pm after their all-day excursion into Philadelphia with the rest of the 4th graders.
Got an enthusiastic demonstration (the whole car ride home) from one of how her duck-quacker worked that she got from the Duck Ride Tour.
Arrived at Ashland to pick child up, but she asked if she could go to her friend's house for a few hours, so I headed back home in time to get the other kids off the bus.
Out again later to pick up from friend's house.
Tried to get some yard work done but the weather wouldn't cooperate.
Kept kids apart as much as humanly possible. With only two weeks remaining till summer break, they're all fidgety and restless and jumping down each other's throats.
Took child to a play at the school we're considering for him next year.
Mother-Dtr Book Club arrived for the end-of-year bash. The girls jumped in the pool while the Moms tried to keep out of the rain under the umbrella. Then we ate, talked about the book Twilight and watched the movie on the couch. Hard to believe this is the same group of girls that first started meeting as 2nd graders. From Junie B Jones to Twilight in three short years. Sigh .....
Oldest got all dressed up and headed out the door to his 8th grade semi-formal dinner dance.
He and his friends had made plans to go to the movies afterwards and he said he had rides there and back with parents. But at 2:15 in the morning he wasn't home yet. Only then did Fred and I realize we didn't know which Mom was driving, which theatre he was at, and that he didn't have a cell phone for us to call him. We wrung our hands and paced the floor and wondered whether we should start calling parents of friends but decided to wait a bit longer. He got dropped off around 2:45 with a smile on his face, his tie askew and carrying a bunch of balloons from the party. We are soooo not ready to be parents of teenagers.
Fred's annual surgical resident's party in the afternoon.
Got the worst of the weeds pulled and the pool spiffed up just in time for the guests to arrive.
One of the kids' friends cut his knee pretty bad. Good thing there was a houseful of surgeons. Didn't end up needing stitches, though.
Another kid puked bucketloads of food all over the pool patio. Got her cleaned up and taken care of, then began hosing down what remained of her lunch. Watermelon and tacos does NOT look pretty revisited.
Four friends slept over.
Flipped a few dozen flapjacks to feed 10 kids for breakfast.
Played lifeguard most of the morning while all the houligans swam off their energy.
Hoped I could retain some of the sun's energy myself, to prepare myself for next week's round of appointments and chores and parties and fieldtrips and field days and .......


markkris said...


And what do you do in your free time? LOL!


Bonnie said...

i love how mckenzie is almost always the friend in "took the kids + 1 friend" hahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...