Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Social Becomes (for today) Sister Treat

My two sisters and I get together once a year without significant others and/or kids. It's our "Sister's Retreat", only when my kids were little they called it a Sister Treat, and the name stuck.

I can't think of a more appropriate name, truth be told. It is a treat in every sense of the word to get together for our annual pilgrimages. We've been doing this for 12 years now, and we've seen Broadway shows, gone jet skiiing, we've been snorkeling in clear Carribean waters, and horseback riding on the beach. We have shopped till we dropped, gotten silly, gotten sunburned, had massages from professionals as well as from each other at 1 in the morning.

This year we're staying local, as in no fancy hotels or quaint bed and breakfasts. Instead, we're holed up in Mary's apartment in New York. First night we ate burgers for dinner at a diner, followed by some good old-fashioned apple pie a la mode. We stayed up till 3 in the morning eating microwave popcorn and giving each other head/neck/shoulder massages and talking about how much it sucks getting old. We talked about work, kids, our childhoods, writing, relationships, religion, aliens, and did a little celebrity name-dropping. This weekend we've been trying on dresses, getting mani-pedis, and doing a little shoe-shopping.

Tonight? Well, tonight's the night. Will I meet him or will I not?
If I do I'm sure it will go splendidly.

Mary: "George, I'd like you to meet my sister, Anne"
George: "It's a pleasure to meet you, Anne."
Anne: "Shoe."
George: "Pardon?"
Anne: "Keyboard? Pitchfork."
Mary: "I think what she's trying to say is....umm, Anne?"
Anne: "Mbletwt?"
George: "Yeah. Ummm. Oh, Brad, hello! Will you ladies excuse me for a moment?"
Anne: "Tshbmwluh!"

Yeah, It'll be fine.

And hey, know what? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. I learned something last night. Some math. I learned that two glasses of $38 a bottle of wine at a restaurant does NOT equal two glasses of $10 wine at home. Also learned that food in the stomach at at the time of said wine consumption? Makes a big difference. Huge.














































































Thanks for your vote....
Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!

4 comments:

Rooster Inn said...

Seeing all the beautiful pictures of you all together made me teary eyed(miss you all) and all happy and excited for you at the same time. I know today will be a day to be remembered...God help you if George acctually "touches" you...you will be wearing depends, right:)

Anne Birdsong said...

Will I be wearing? Depends!

Sincerely, Jenni said...

That looks like SO much fun!

Anne Birdsong said...

Oh, we had fun alright, Jenni. Now I have to pay the price of utter exhaustion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...